- Date Acquired – 1939
- Method of Acquisition - donated by local rancher, M. Vilate Jackson
- Size – 2.75 acres (per Google Earth). Part of 9.54 Acres GIS Tax Lot 2400 that includes Jackson Park, Friendship Park, Collins Field and Tsuruta Tennis Courts.
- Popular for - Large community gatherings, music events, movie in the park.
In 1939 Vilate Jackson donated the land that became Jackson Park, between May and Taylor Streets and west of 13th Street. Local historians believe that the original donation included the Tsuruta Tennis Courts and Collins Baseball Field, originally known as Memorial Park.
The Hood River News has documented community social gatherings in the park since the early ’60s. Many current city residents have celebrated at Jackson Park at some point in their lives. The park brings people together for “Families in the Park” on Thursdays throughout August, hosts an Easter egg hunt in the spring, and now holds Latino Fest in late August.
City planners once thought that the park was too steep for the kind of events now held regularly there. Jackson Park has become one of the most beloved parks in the city. Along with a large stage used for concerts, it also has picnic tables, restrooms, and a playground.
Read more about the history of Jackson park here.